24 May 2010

opteron-prime

The Jones home has a new server: Opteron-Prime. It is a quad core AMD Opteron based system. Lynn was very gracious in letting me purchase this basically since it will serve as a new file server and allow triple redundancy on our data (it will back up to a network raid array). The purpose is to keep safe all of our documents (like our wedding photos, music, etc) and allow remote access to said files from anywhere with internet access. My goal is single-sign-on to my Mac OS X, Windows 7 and Linux hosts. I plan on using VMWare ESXi to run Windows 2008 Server R2 (as an Active Directory Domain Controller), OpenFiler (as our fileserver), m0n0wall (as our remote access and firewall) and probably another linux server on this box. I will have to update as this project comes along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be starting a network/ server project in a few weeks once I have a chance to get down to the Fort and get some parts out of my storage unit. Good luck on yours.
JJ